Toronto Rehabilitation Institute
Belkacem Chikhaoui received his B.Sc. degree in Computer Science from Boumerdes University, Algeria, in 2004, and his M.Sc. degree in Human Computer Interaction from University of Sherbrooke, Canada, in 2009. Belkacem obtained his PhD in Computer Science specialized in Data Mining in Pervasive Environments from The University of Sherbrooke, Canada, in 2013. His PhD project focused on activity recognition and user profile modeling using advanced data mining and machine learning algorithms.
Belkacem’s current work at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute aims at developing a predictive system for behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in people with dementia. His research interests in general comprise data mining and knowledge discovery, pervasive environments theory and applications, and social networks.
Selected Journal Papers
- B, Chikhaoui., T, Xiong., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2014) Pattern-Based Causal Relationships Discovery from Event Sequences for Modeling Behavioral User Profile in Ubiquitous Environments. Information Sciences, Elsevier. 285:204-222.
- B, Chikhaoui., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2012) ADR-SPLDA: Activity discovery and recognition by combining sequential patterns and latent Dirichlet allocation. Pervasive and Mobile Computing. Elsevier, 8(6):845-862.
- B, Chikhaoui., H, Pigot. (2010) Towards Analytical Evaluation of Human Machine Interfaces Developed in the Context of Smart Homes. Interacting with Computers. Elsevier, 22(6):449-464.
- R, Kadouche., B, Chikhaoui, B, Abdulrazak. (2010) User’s behavior study for smart houses occupant prediction. Annals of Telecommunications. Springer, 65(9-10):539-543.
- B, Abdulrazak., B, Chikhaoui., C, Gouin-Vallerant., B, Fraikin. (2010) A standard ontology for smart spaces. International Journal of Grid and Web services, Inderscience, 6(3):244-268.
Selected Peer-reviewed Conference Papers
- B, Chikhaoui., M, Chiazzaro, S, Wang. (2015) A new Granger causal model for influence evolution in dynamic social networks: the case of DBLP. In proceedings of the 29th AAAI conference (AAAI-2015). Austin, Texas, USA.
- B, Chikhaoui., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2013) Causality based model for user profile construction in pervasive environments. In proceedings of the 27th IEEE international conference on advanced information networking and applications (AINA 2013) 461-468. Barcelona, Spain.
- B, Chikhaoui., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2012) A New Statistical Model for Activity Discovery and Recognition in Pervasive Environments. In proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2012). Tsukuba, Japan.
- B, Chikhaoui., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2012) Towards Causal Models For Building Behavioral User Profile in Ubiquitous Computing Applications. In proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp 2012) 598-599. Pittsburgh, USA.
- B, Chikhaoui., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2011) Activity Recognition in Smart Environments: An information Retrieval Problem. In proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Smart Homes and Health Telematics (ICOST 2011) 33-40. Montreal, Canada.
- B, Chikhaoui., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2011) A Frequent Pattern Mining Approach for ADLs Recognition in Smart Environments. In proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2011) 248-255. Biopolis, Singapore.
- B, Chikhaoui., M, Chiazzaro., S, Wang. (2011) An Improved Hybrid Recommender System by Combining Predictions. In proceedings of the International Symposium on Mining and Web (MAW 2011) 644-649. Biopolis, Singapore.
- B, Chikhaoui., S, Wang., H, Pigot. (2010) A new Algorithm Based On Sequential Pattern Mining For Person Identification In Ubiquitous Environments. In proceedings of the International Conference on Knowledge Discovery from Sensor Data (SensorKDD 2010) 19-28. Washington DC, USA.
- B, Chikhaoui., Y, Benazzouz., B, Abdulrazak. (2009) Towards a Universal Ontology for Smart Environments. In proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (iiWAS2009) 80-87. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- B, Chikhaoui., H, Pigot. (2008) Evaluation of a Contextual Assistant Interface using Cognitive Models. In proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (ICHCI 2008) 36-43. Venice, Italy.